You are here: Home > Media Room > News & Press Releases
Cuyahoga County Council to Deliberate on Seven New Proposed Charter Amendments in Committee of the Whole
Click here for printable version
Media Contact: Trevor McAleer (216) 698-6472; email@example.com
Cleveland, OH – At a July 24, 2013 Committee of the Whole meeting beginning at 9:00 a.m., Cuyahoga County Council will begin discussion over whether to place up to seven new Charter Amendment proposals on the November 2013 ballot. In conjunction with the release of the Charter Review Commission report recommending that a total of fifteen Charter Amendments be placed before the voters, Council initiated a parallel process to refine several of the Charter Review Commission recommendations and offer a new proposal for voter consideration.
Of the seven Charter Amendment proposals to be discussed, six are revisions of proposals originally presented by the Charter Review Commission on the following topics:
- Renaming the Human Resources Commission, changing the appointing authority and clarifying its powers and duties, and establishing the position of the Director of Human Resources;
- Changing and clarifying the appointment authority of the County Executive;
- Allocating legal powers and duties between the County Prosecutor and the Director of Law;
- Adjusting the timeline for the appointment process and the commencement of the term of future Charter Review Commissions;
- Establishing the term of appointment and process of removal of the Sheriff; and
- Establishing an Agency of Inspector General in the Charter.
A new Charter Amendment proposal changing the composition and accountability of the County Investment Advisory Committee will also be discussed by the Committee.
Meetings of the Cuyahoga County Council are free and open to the public. Members of the public are encouraged to attend in person in the Council Chambers on the 1st floor of the Justice Center, or to watch via Council’s live stream at http://council.cuyahogacounty.us/. Complimentary parking for the public is available in the Huntington Garage at Lakeside and W.3rd St. Archived video is also available at http://www.youtube.com/CuyahogaCounty.